Monday, August 31, 2009

Coconut Pie Recipe

This recipe is from one of my most favorite blogs - Poofing the Pillows. I read it daily for fun and inspiration. Blessings to you, my friend!

The Best Coconut Pie Ever!

Last weekend my in-laws came for a visit. My mother in law, Linda brought this pie...I begged her to. This is the best coconut pie in the whole wide world! I promise! Give this a try and you will be convinced. :)

Coconut Pie by Linda

Brush egg white on uncooked pie crust. Bake.

Combine:

3 cups whole milk
4 large beaten egg yolks
5 Tbs. corn starch (little more than level)
1 1/2 cups sugar
Dash of salt

Cook and stir until thick. Turn down heat and continue to cook 2-3 more minutes. Add 5 Tbs. butter, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. coconut flavoring, 1/8 tsp. butter flavoring. Add 1 1/2 cups coconut to mixture.

While mixture is still hot, add meringue on top.

Meringue

4 egg whites beaten until frothy. Add 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar. Beat slowly adding 3 heaping Tbs. powdered sugar, one at a time. Beat faster after adding sugar. Test meringue to see if it forms peaks. Spread on hot mixture. Sprinkle coconut on top.

Bake at 325 for 10 minutes or check oven for light brown color.

** I have to add that Linda said this wasn't her recipe originally. She got it from a friend at church.

No comments: